Witchcraft doesn't have to be expensive. In fact, many things you need you can make, grow, or buy cheaply at your local Dollar Store (Dollar Tree in my area). The trick is to know your way around your local Dollar Store and if the item is really worth the low price of a dollar.
For your convenience, I visited my local Dollar Tree and complied a list of 13 items you can pick up to use in your craft.
Candles & Candle Holder: There is an ever changing variety of candles you can pick up at the Dollar Tree. However, there are some staple candles they always have in stock. You can always find red and white taper candles, like those featured in the DIY Candle Wheel. There are also boxes and even bags of tea lights. I use tea lights all the time for spells as they burn quickly so I don't have to snuff them to finish a spell. They usually burn out by the time I am done. There are also a variety of candle holders so you needn't worry about what you will place your candles in when you get home.
2. Scented Oil & Oil Warms: The selection is usually small, but you can always find at least one or two scented oils and oil warmers.You can use the oils to anoint your candles, statues, or stones, or simply warm them in your oil warmer. I actually purchased a burner to burn my charcoal in and it works perfectly. DO NOT use these scented oils to anoint yourself. You will need anointing oil or essential oils safe for use on your skin for that.
3. Stones: Looking to make your own runes and don't have a local river or lake near by to collect some river rocks? Not to worry! You're local Dollar Store has plenty to choose from. Use them to make runes, place on your altar, fill vases, or create other witchy works of art.
4. Seasonal Items: The Dollar Tree always has a variety of flowers you can choose from no matter what the time of year, but around the holidays they stock a number of seasonal items you can use to adorn your altar. Figurines of cupids for Imbolc, rabbits for Ostara, suns and wind chimes for Beltane and Litha, wheat or corn for Mabon and Lammas, pumpkins for Samhain, and Yule trees and logs for Yule. They also stock up on seasonal foods and drinks you can use as offerings as well as seasonal floral decorations to place on your altar or around your home. Around Yule they have a number of bells you can choose from for ritual and spell work.
5. Matches & Lighters: A witch can never have too many matches and lighters. They range in size from small to long depending on your needs. It is always a good idea to have a mix, especially if you want to minimize your chances of getting burned!
6. Herbs: The Dollar Tree carries a small assortment of herbs and spices, but not all of them are a steal. Check your local grocery and compare prices. I've been able to purchase organic Basil on sale for cheaper than the Dollar Tree. However, they are generally cheaper here if you are not growing and drying them yourself. They usually have basil, oregano, garlic powder (sometimes minced garlic), and pepper.
7. Sea Salt & Epsom Salt: What witch doesn't use salt? Representing Earth, salt is needed in a variety of rituals and spells as well as in cleansing baths. You can pick up plenty of sea salt for rituals and spells and Epsom salt cheaply at the Dollar Tree. They even carry lavender scented Epsom salt to increase the potency of your cleansing bath prior to a ritual.
8. Glass Jars, Small Bowls, & Trays: From jars and vases to bowls and trays, the Dollar Tree has just about everything you need for storage and offering dishes. Use the vases to hold your flowers or stones, the glass jars for spell work, and the small bowls and trays as offering dishes. Depending on the time you year, you may even find some decorated for the holiday season!
Incense & Incense Burners: Most Dollar Trees now carry incense cones, sticks, and burners. The variety is generally limited, but depending on the time year they can have a greater variety. Incense are a must for any witch's cabinet as they are often used to represent Air and sometimes Air and Fire together. I purchased a new wooden incense burner there just yesterday.
10. Scrying Mirrors: If you are into divination, why not pick up a mirror or two to create your very own scrying mirror? They have small framed mirrors and the "candle holder" mirrors featured below. Depending on your needs, this is a great place to pick them up to make your own!
11. "Chalice": Chalice is in quotes because 1) they are really just drinking glasses and 2) I'd like you to be aware of where the glass comes from. Due to recent scares, glass from China may contain lead. The Dollar Tree gets many of their products from China so keep an eye out. If you are not going to be using these for consumption, then go right ahead and pick some up! You can decorate them in any way you please while others come decorated for the seasons. They make great offering chalices for your altar or during ritual use.
12. Picture Frames: Want to place that picture of the God or Goddess or some pictures of you ancestors on your altar, but don't have the right frame? Have no fear! The Dollar Tree has you covered. They carry a variety of ever changing picture frames throughout the year ranging from small to printer paper size. These are great for decorating yourself. Place printed or drawn pictures of the deities, your ancestors, or the spell or ritual you are performing in the frams to keep them from getting wet or catching on fire during spell work and rituals.
13. Journals for Grimoires or BOS's: Sometimes you will get lucky and find a really great journal you can use as a Grimoire or BOS. Looking for a binder? They have those too. Most of the time the journals and binders are plain, allowing you to decorate them in anyway you see fit. A word of caution: some are not that high a quality and for the amount of use they will see, make sure you get something that will hold up!
And there you have it! Thirteen items you can pick up at the Dollar Store for all your witchcraft needs. You needn't spend hundreds of dollars to decorate your altar, cast a spell, or work a ritual. In fact, you don't really need any of these items to work magic. Remember, the magic comes from within you, the witch. All the other items simply enhance your magical workings and help you focus your mind on your intention.
Are there any items I did not mention that you pick up at the Dollar Store to aid in your witchcraft? Let me know in the comments and happy witchcrafting to you all!