Thursday, March 5, 2015

Fit Witch: Health & Fitness 101

To kick off Fit Witch, I want to provide you with some basic information regarding health and fitness. You have probably seen all of this information before and that's because it works. So here are my top 10 tips for living healthy.
  1. Workout at least 30 minutes 3 times a week. Honestly, I suggest you work out more. Try to work out 5 days a week. The people who see the best results workout at least 5 days. They also tend to workout between 30 minutes and an hour. 45 minutes is my sweet spot. When you are just starting out, 12 minutes of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) will probably work best as you build endurance.
  2. Lift weights. Women, this means you too. Weight lifting burns some serious fat, promotes lean muscle growth, and strengthens your bones.
  3. Don't over do cardio. Running everyday won't help you lose as much weight as combining your running with weight training. Mix it up. I suggest HIIT. provides amazing HIIT workouts completely free. You can do 1 video or 5 to feel the max burn. combines cardio with strength training for an amazing workout. If you aren't sweating by the end, you aren't working hard enough.
  4. Eat clean 80/20. What does that mean? 80% of your diet should be CLEAN EATING while 20% is "cheating." So, 80% of the week (NOT the day) needs to be real food and not the processed shit. The other 20% of the week you can "cheat." This means 1 day a week you can treat yourself. Why just one day? Because if you treat yourself everyday, you will negate your hard work. The goal is to not crave those foods you shouldn't be eating. If you aren't fueling your body with the right foods, you will not see results.
  5. Eat the rainbow. No, not Skittles. Try to eat every color of the rainbow in fruits and vegetables every day. Blueberries, tomatoes, lettuce, yellow peppers, egg plant, oranges, cauliflower. You get the picture. By eating all the colors, you are maximizing your nutrient intake so your body can lose weight and pack on muscle.
  6. Take multivitamins and Omega-3's. I suggest flax seed oil over fish oil. It has more Omega-3's and doesn't cause the nasty burping afterwards, not to mention no animals were harmed. Making sure you have the proper nutrients helps you burn fat and speeds up your metabolism. It also reduces your chances of heart disease, osteoporosis, asthma, and other diet related ailments.
  7. Drink cold water and green tea. Cold water has to be heated by your body first, requiring more work from you. The results? You burn more calories. Green tea also contains metabolism boosting properties, not to mention antioxidants.
  8. Wake up your system with warm lemon water and honey. If you drink this first thing in the morning, you will wake up your system, rev up your metabolism, and start production of bile for easy digestion. Set yourself up for success.
  9. Don't skip a meal, especially breakfast. Eat something for every meal of the day. Eat small, healthy snacks in between meals. Fuel your workouts before and after to maximize muscle growth, fat loss, and muscle repair. Make sure your post-work out contains all the branch-chained amino acids you need to promote muscle growth and repair. If you are eating often, you are keeping your metabolism up.
  10. Stretch after you exercise. A lot of people stretch before, but every runner will tell you this is bad voodoo. Stretching cold muscles can cause serious injuries. If you feel the need to stretch before a workout, warm up first, then stretch. However, ALWAYS stretch after exercise. It reduces muscle soreness and you chances of injury.
So, how much of this is old news? I hope most of it, but listen to the advice. If you are serious about your health, then these tips will set you up for success. I follow every single one of these and my body thanks me every day.

1 comment:

  1. which is extremely charming, yet I have to extra grow. Respects.
    guest articles